Saturday, January 29, 2011

Can FunMom Make a Grocery Store Appearance?

We are in Costco.  Me and my entourage of children.  Grace in the front carrier, Daniel in the cart and the big boys trailing behind - trying to knock each other over and generally being quite boyish.  What are they saying?  "Mom, can we get that? Mom, can we try that?"  What am I saying?  "No, not today."

Thomas has invented a new way to ask for things which makes me seem less mean, and probably makes him less disappointed: "Mom, can we buy that someday?"  Most of the time I can say yes to that one.

Nonetheless, here we are on our Costco trip and although I am saying "no" kindly and explaining why: "we already have your granola bars, goldfish, and peanut butter pretzels, those are all the treats we really should buy."  I don't feel very fun.  I feel quite un-fun, actually.

So, totally uncharacteristic of me, I start brainstorming on how Costco can be more fun for them, with me saying "no" less.  Are you ready for this?  I give them a price range, maybe under $8, and each time we come to Costco they can take turns choosing something special.  A food item that I don't usually get.  Also, it can't be candy.  I don't want an $8 pack of Skittles or something in my pantry, that would maybe be too fun - if there is such a thing.

I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm hopeful it will be a good thing.

Fun can be simple!

1 comment:

Clarissa. said...

My boys loved going to costco with me. It was always super-fun for them because I let them try every single last sample and then we picked one of our favorite sampled items to purchase. They called it going to costco for appletizers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...