Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Suzy Homemaker (sourdough starter)

In my teens and early twenties I was terribly uninterested in all things domestic. I could have named so many things I'd rather do. Anything but sew, bake, cook, (and wasn't knitting for nerds?). Anyway, call me a nerd now, if that's what it makes you, 'cuz I love all that stuff. Not so much crafts or scrapbooking - but knitting, sewing, baking, cooking (though I'm still figuring out how to do it well) are all things I love to do.

Since I didn't grow up doing them, I'm not great at any of it. And since I have three kids and the bookkeeping of a small business to keep up on, I don't have a lot of time to teach myself a lot of it... but I do what I can.

For example, all week I've been adding to my new sourdough starter on my counter. I've been so excited and tomorrow is the day that I get to bake my first loaf of sourdough!!! Here's hoping it comes out all right. I got the recipe from Mary Jane's Farm, if you care to check it out. (one of my new favorite magazines, I get my mom's already-read copies!!)

Here's a pic of my starter, which will turn into two delicious loaves of sourdough tomorrow. I hope.

Okay, gotta take advantage of naptime to catch up on the 2008 fiscal year! so I can see how much we owe for taxes... the excitement.

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Ooo that bread sounds yummy. Let me know how it goes, I would like to try! Maybe you can post a picture? :)

I love the recipe for the sourdough starter, however referring to the starter as "mother" weirded me out a little :)

I enjoy all food-related domestic things, no surprise. I'm glad you enjoy it too!

Christy said...

Yeah, the whole "now add 1/3 cup of flour to your mother..." did sound kind of weird. Notice I called it "starter".

A. said...

Good luck with your bread! I've been using sourdough for the first time, too.
It always makes me laugh to read your blog...a lot of it sounds like me, too! I hated sewing and taught myself to cook, but now I love it all! Congratulations on the cookies.:)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to show this recipe to Claudio since he's the baker/chef in this house. He's been making French rolls and ciabatta on a regular basis. I, however, have been craving sourdough. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be an option in Australia.

Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...