Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Laundry Couch

Things I'm not doing right now:
- cleaning the bathroom
- running
- washing the kitchen counter-tops
- making dinner
- sweeping the floor
- holding a small child
- running credit cards Charlie accepted last weekend

Things I am doing:
- eating ice cream with peanut butter cups in it
- enjoying a quiet moment while everyone is napping
- wondering if Thomas is getting sick again
- perusing old videos & pics of the boys
- wishing my internet connection allowed me to download videos faster
- wishing that I wasn't on contract with our internet provider
- figuring out what our family will do to celebrate advent this year
- thinking that Karen and I are in very similar places right now, only she updates her blog more
- finally posting something new...which brings me to this, something I've been contemplating while folding laundry:

When I have a successful laundry day it means that I have washed, dried, folded, and put away all clothes that needed washing. BUT, when the day is truly successful by my standards, nobody even knows I did anything. Shouldn't that stop? Shouldn't everyone know I just did 8-15 loads of laundry? I think so.

So I devised the "laundry couch". The POA (plan of attack) goes like this: I do several loads of laundry and leave them on the couch for a few days - until everyone is thoroughly sick of them. I then spend an entire evening folding and putting everything away. At this point the family is extremely proud and impressed that I have done so much work. Thus, the phantom laundry fairy is now named. And my work is acknowledged and applauded.

But who am I kidding? I'm the only one who gets sick of the laundry lying on the couch. The boys love hiding in it, Charlie doesn't expect me to get right to it. I'm the only one who puts pressure on myself to get it all done at once. The ONLY ONE. Gees, Christy, let it go. And all the other housework, too.

3 comments:

christy said...

amen, sista. laundry is the bane of my existence. numero uno on the list of "thankless jobs that must be done." ok, maybe clean the toilet is really number one.

and, wanted to give you a big thumbs up for not working during naptime! i think i've made my position clear on that one. :)

Christy said...

It's good to know I'm not alone!

Anonymous said...

LOL about your laundry!! Seriously I was laughing hysterically. I SO relate. I think we ARE in the same place . . . very much so. I used to *try* to keep up. Now I shrug and curl up on the couch. ;)

This is such a SMALL window. Its amazing how some days I have perspective and I know how quickly it will fly by and soon I will miss it all. But boy, it is HARD in the moment to feel that way. Daniel is crawling now, and the mess is crazy, and the other kids are annoyed that he's breaking, taking, or knocking down. He's pulling on my pantleg, crying if i leave the room for ONE second. And yet he looks at me with the most adoring, eager eyes (MOM--YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL I CANT STOP STARING AT YOU). Its hard not to giggle at it. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...