Friday, March 28, 2008

My Antonia

I read this in college, and have to say I wasn't too enthusiastic - but once I read it - wow! What a great book!

It's now a favorite, and since I haven't made it to the library in forever, I'm resorting to re-reads. So, very briefly: a look into an immigrant's life on the Nebraska prairie. It's wonderful. Full of stories, and an awesome insight into the main character: Antonia.

Plus, the family of the Shimerdas immigrated from Bohemia (I just think it's one of the coolest words I know). And through my trusted source, Wikipedia, I've learned that Bohemia is part of the Czech Republic. But who wants to say Czech Republic when they can say Bohemia????

Seriously, sad things happen in this book, but in the end I was left wanting to be a person full of the enjoyment of life rather than a person who examines the negatives and mulls over the sad things that happen. Sadly, that's a lame description of what I felt, but if you read the book, then you can describe it better for me.

(okay, I also felt like I wanted to move to a farm and have 11 children, but I expect that to pass.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is a great book! I read it for a Mid-West Literature Class. Didn't they make a movie? I should look that up...

Anonymous said...

if you like Willa Cather's My Antonia... try Bess Streeter Alrich books. They are wonderful prairie stories too!!

Anonymous said...

oops, it is Bess Streeter Aldrich!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...