Monday, July 30, 2007

Pioneers

After my last post I thought of another question: If you were a pioneer, what modern appliance would you most miss?

I think I'm going to say a washing machine. Can you even imagine having to wash all clothes by hand? The wardrobes would drastically shrink at my house, I can tell you that much. And I venture to say, clothes would not be as clean as they are now.

One thing I sort of miss being over here is the dishwasher. I am lucky enough to have a girl come and do the cooking for lunch and dinner, also the cleaning up, but when I do need to do the dishes I don't mind it terribly. What I do miss is the convenience of knowing that things are sterile once they go in the dishwasher. Especially sippy cups and (back when we used them) bottles and pacifiers. Sometimes we even run the toothbrushes through the dishwasher.

Make no mistake, bleach is no stranger to my kitchen here, along with plentiful hot water, so I know things are clean. But it's so convenient to just throw everything in the dishwasher and know that if anything was alive when the dishes went in, it's not now.

* * *

This video is not related to the above post, but we went and saw some turtles today and I thought some nieces and nephews (along with some adults) might like to see how big they were.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, dishwasher and washing machine are a tie! i assume if i lived in the old days i would have less clothes and less dishes, and therefore, less to wash. plus back then people were ok with stains and dirt--not the same expectations now days for *sparkle clean*, on dishes or on clothes! BUT i think it would take a lot of time to not have either. and i can safely say i use both my washer and my dishwasher EVERY day.

Monica said...

I think it would be fun to see big turtles. As for me as a pioneer I think I would miss my washing machine, my stove,oven, hot water for bathing and bottle water for drinking. I am starting to get over my dishwasher being gone because i get help but if i did not have help then i would lament over my dishwasher. Except if I had a baby then i would need to start to consider the cleanliness part again.

Lacey said...

Oh my gosh, big ole sea turtles are my favorite animals!

Well I have gone without a clothes washer for a lengthy period of time before, and it was icky. After a while I didn't think washing was too big of a deal...but they just never seemed "clean". But a big part of that was not having hot water. So to me that would be the biggest- the water heater. Nothing seems clean when you can't wash it with at least warm water...not clothes, not dishes, and especially not yourself :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, a washing machine. But to be a little original, I'll say that a close second would be the microwave. I had no idea how much I rely on it to reheat leftovers - until we didn't have one.

Oh, and actually I think the fridge would be # 1, now that I think about it. It would be a PAIN not to have a fridge or freezer - you'd have to shop every single day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...